Reading Challenge

Write Tribe Reading Challenge 2019

Blogadda image

Sunday, June 14, 2020

A dream unfulfilled is a tragedy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arjun saw the next entry in the book and looked at the watch. He smiled. Like always, you chose your lunch break to meet me.

Rishi walked in with a guitar-case slung on his shoulders. Like always, he was wearing a cap and goggles. They did nothing to conceal his royal bearings. But these accessories, coupled with a plain shirt and jeans made him look like just another guy. Which he wasn't definitely.

He hailed from a wealthy family, uber-wealthy, actually. His father was a business moghul known all over the world for his successful business. There were already books written on him. Rishi's mother was a silent partner in all her husband's dealings and had already made her name in the world with the various charity projects that she handled. 

And here was Rishi, someone whom the world already knew as the heir apparent to a fortune.

"Hey, I brought lunch." Rishi said as he sat on the chair and placed the guitar case almost reverentially on the table. He took out a packet from his bag. A delicious aroma of North-Indian food wafted from the packet.

"Oh, I wish you would stop bringing me lunch. Is it necessary to bring this every time?" Arjun asked although his stomach rumbled.

"It is the least I can do." Rishi shrugged.

As Arjun opened the packet, Rishi took out his guitar from the case. He held it in the same way someone would hold a lover. Arjun smiled.

And then, as he did always, while Arjun had his lunch, Rishi played the guitar. Not only did he play it, he also sang along. His songs were composed by himself and carried depth and meaning. He sang really well.

But he aced the guitar. He played it so naturally that one could imagine that the guitar and Rishi were one. Arjun loved such afternoons. Having lunch and listening to really good music made  him feel as if he were in a themed restaurant and having a personal concert for himself.

The song finished.

"So, what do you say?" Rishi asked with a grin.

"You know what I would say. Amazing, just amazing. I just love your music, and your song." Arjun said sincerely.

Rishi beamed. His whole face lit up with happiness.

Arjun sighed. "Rishi, I don't understand why you won't.."

"Play the guitar openly, come out as a guitar-player? Thanks but no thanks. The first time I played the guitar at a family function, dad just killed my dream. I told this to you in our first session itself, right? What hurt me most was that he enjoyed the evening like every one, complimented me heartily. Just when I geared myself to inform him of making a career out of my passion, he called me to his room  after everyone had left. He forbade me totally to play it. Said it will divert me from my other duties - duties towards the family business that has been in the market since five decades. Said, no one from the family had gone into this kind of entertainment business and I was not to break the tradition. I was to just get into the family business like every guy or girl has done in my family."

Rishi's tone hardened in the end.

"I tried to convince him,  you know. I told him to listen to another of my performances. He did. And brought my hopes up. And then after I had finished playing, he took the guitar from my hand and dashed it to the ground. My first guitar - it just broke irreparably. I decided then and there to never ever play it before him."

Rishi tensed for a while. "Just to set the record straight, he doesn't know that I bought another guitar and I am playing it too. In fact, apart from you, nobody else knows. I just come to you because I need to perform in front of someone who will impartially judge my talent."

"And I keep telling you time and again, that what you are doing with the guitar is sheer magic. You are a natural guitarist, friend."

Rishi nodded and carefully placed the guitar inside the case. He started on his lunch.

Arjun took the opportunity to study him. When Rishi had first come to meet him, he had told that he was suffering from depressive thoughts. Gradually in the fourth session, the truth had come out that his dad had killed his dream of being a guitarist. Arjun couldn't understand what kind of hold his dad had over the guy. But then he gathered that being in the public eye as celebrities, the family had a name to protect, which must be the reason why Rishi didn't think of rebelling.

"Next week, I am off to this little village in Italy." Rishi said.

"Oh! Business trip?"

Rishi made a face. "Yeah. Another branch to be opened in the village. It is a tiny, remote village in the midst of nowhere. I am not sure how dad expects to open the branch and earn a profit too. Expects me to work miracles." He shook his head.

"Hmm.. Remote village in the midst of nowhere... seems like the perfect opportunity to go incognito and play the guitar." Arjun remarked casually.

Rishi stared at him.

"Are you really suggesting what I think you are?" He asked incredously.

Arjun shrugged. "Well, you need to check whether it is possible for you to do this. Seems like a good idea to me. You will get the satisfaction of having performed in front of an unsuspecting audience. I am not sure about the incognito part. That is something you have to think for yourself."

Rishi mused over it. Then he grinned suddenly. "You know, that sounds fabulous. Seems like something I can do. Let me think about it."

Arjun gave him a thumbs up. Soon, Rishi finished his lunch and they both cleaned the table.

"All right then, see you!" Rishi said, wearing his googles and his cap. Arjun's heart went out to him. The cost of being a celebrity! He walked him to the door and said 'All the best!'.

"I will send you the video hopefully." Rishi grinned and walked out with a swing in his step.

No comments:

Post a Comment