Reading Challenge

Write Tribe Reading Challenge 2019

Blogadda image

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Jab They Met...

To say that he was nervous, would have been an understatement. He felt his heart beat rapidly inside his chest and his arms felt slippery around the wheel of the car. He concentrated on driving safely. His thoughts kept moving to the meeting ahead. This was one-of-a-kind meeting for him. His first ever.

As he drove by, he saw a flower shop a few shops ahead. On an impulse, he parked the car at the side of the road and rushed to the shop. His head reeled from the sheer number of flowers and the sensory overload of colors and fragrance. What am I doing?, he thought helplessly. But still something told him that this would make a great first impression.

"Yes Sir, how may I help you?" The lady at the shop asked him pleasantly. The red roses drew his attention. There was something very beautiful about roses, he agreed. But gifting red roses seemed presumptuous. He glanced at a side and saw equally beautiful yellow roses.

"I will take a bouquet of these please." He gestured to the yellow roses and the lady smiled while nodding her head. Within minutes, he was holding a pretty bouquet. After paying the lady and thanking her, he got back inside his car, keeping the roses hidden from the sunlight that reflected in through the glass of the car.

"Hey guys, please stay fresh for few more hours okay." He said to the roses and chuckled. I am talking to flowers. Who would have thought! He shook his head.

If days ago, someone would have said that he would agree to meet a girl for an alliance, and would buy roses for her, he would have laughed out aloud. For he was a 'practical' guy and not a flowers -n- chocolates kind of person. But it had happened somehow. One of his friends had showed him a photograph of a girl, a pretty girl, given him all her details and asked him whether he would like to meet her and consider an alliance for marriage. Something about the photo had fascinated him thoroughly. The pretty eyes had fire behind them, and the beautiful smile showed strength and courage. He had agreed to meet her.

And today, exactly a week later, he was on his way for the meeting. Every day of the week, he had looked at her photo, first when he woke up, and then before going to sleep. She had invaded his mind totally, not allowing him a moment of peace or clarity. She was all he could think about.

The cafe loomed ahead suddenly and he had a temporary feeling of cold-feet. What if I mess up? What if she doesn't want to go ahead? What if we are stuck in the classic and awkward phase of 'I don't think this will work out, let us be good friends instead'? He shook himself of all negativity resolutely. He parked the car and remembered to take the bouquet.

There was a full-length mirror at the entrance of the cafe and he gave himself a once-over, for the last time. Khaaki - pants, black formal t-shirt, and hair - he gave up on it. It still fell over his face, much like Harry Potter's. Well, there is nothing I can do about it. She will have to learn to live with this mess. He smiled inwardly at the thought of spending the rest of his life with her. Then his practical mind, at least whatever was left of it, reminded him to not to get his hopes up.

He had arrived fifteen minutes later than the agreed time. Huh, as if I would make you wait! He mentally spoke to her photo that he had saved on his mobile. He booked a table for two and waited patiently for her.

Twenty minutes and several glasses of water later, he saw the door of the cafe open and in stepped his girl. My girl! every nerve of his heart sang out as he finally saw the one who had tormented him just with a photograph. He had to agree that the photo didn't do any justice to her. She was much more beautiful in person, with a classic grace and poise. Dressed in a green kurta and white palazzos, she looked like summer. No, make it spring. Or was it rain? His mind went into overdrive. He raised his hand to draw her attention and saw her wave back to him. He handed over the bouquet to her and she shyly thanked him.

"Oh, I used to love cricket too at one time. But I kind of lost interest in it. The players aren't the same anymore. Though they are good, they are not the people I want to be a fan of." She said with a smile while he nodded his head. There goes the fifth cross-mark. During the hour that they had spent together, they had discussed various topics and found that their choices didn't match at all. While he was all in for soft music, she preferred rock. His idea of a good evening was a nice conversation at a cafe, she was all for the beach. She was a movie-buff, he wasn't. He was into outdoor sports, she wasn't. And now they had realised that he was crazy about cricket while she wasn't!

His mood dimmed. While he fell more and more in love with her with every passing second and the differences didn't matter to him, he wondered whether they would matter to her. Unable to stand the tension, he decided to take a direct approach. He cleared his throat nervously.

"Look, there is something I want to say." When she immediately tensed up, he gave her an assuring smile. "Nothing to be tensed about. Please hear me out okay." She nodded at him and he started talking.

"I have always been a practical guy, not believing in love at first sight or flowers or chocolates. Romance is something that may never come to me easily. But ever since I saw your photo and learnt about you, something inside me changed. I have not been able to get you out of mind. I know that there are many differences between us, but I believe that we can work it out. It is a yes from my side."

She looked at him silently and he went on. "I know I am practically a stranger to you. So are you to me. But if you  are willing to give us a chance, let us at least get to know each other. We will go ahead with the marriage only when you are completely ready for it. I am leaving this decision up to you." He said and hoped badly that she would agree.

She stared out of the window, a strange look in her face. When she gazed back at him, he saw her discomfort in her eyes. He worried about the worst.

"That is really nice of you." She began hesitatingly. "But I hope you know everything about me." Her tone steeled in the end.

Oh yes, he knew and how! He knew that she was a rape survivor, that she had been raped five years ago, by the very person she had thought to be her boyfriend, and by his gang too. He knew that she had to attend various sessions of psycho-therapy to forget and leave the incident behind. He knew that her offenders were now in jail, after a long drawn-out case of three years and more. He knew the pain and suffering she must have gone through. But most of all, he knew the strength and courage that shone in her eyes and that, only that mattered to him and drew her to him. Nothing else mattered.

He nodded his head and said calmly. "I see a strong woman, a woman of courage and fire, a woman with whom I want to spend the rest of my life with, if she would give me a chance."

She kept gazing at him, apparently unaffected. But as he looked into her eyes, he saw hope kindle in them. And he also saw distrust and a slight tinge of fear.

"Trust me please. That is all I ask of you." He pleaded to her.

She smiled. A genuine, full-blown smile. "That I can surely do. It is yes from my side too. You asked me to trust you, I will. And I only ask you to be patient with me. It will take me some time to adjust to a relationship. I hope you will understand."

"Take your own time. I can wait forever." He somehow managed to hide the relief in his tone and tried to appear nonchalant though he could make out from her mischievous smile that she was not fooled by his charade. Suddenly the world appeared to be brighter and more beautiful than before.

"Okay then. May be we should leave now." She said and he agreed. As they waited for the waiter to bring the bill, he sat back on his chair, much more relaxed now. "So Madam, when can I see you again? Day after tomorrow, dinner?" He asked with a smile while she shyly looked down and nodded her head. He was about to suggest that they meet in the same cafe when she suddenly said. "Can you make it to the beach by evening? We can stroll there for sometime and have dinner later."

He sighed. And thus it starts! But as he stared at the eyes now filled with hope and happiness, he nodded. He knew that she now owned his heart completely and he was totally okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment