Reading Challenge

Write Tribe Reading Challenge 2019

Blogadda image

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Her Secret Admirer





Sachin saw her enter the meeting-room with a tense expression on her face. He looked down to hide his smile. She waved to him half-heartedly and sat in a chair opposite to him. He saw her link her fingers together and look at the entrance of the room. Her gaze alternated between the entrance and her fingers.

When the all the reporters had assembled in the room, their editor-in-chief entered with an important air, adjusting the lapels of his formal suit and his cuffs while walking towards his chair. “Good afternoon, people.” He muttered and waved off the half-hearted responses coming from the staff.

He leaned back in his chair and looked at all the reporters. “You people know why I have called you here. It is just a general review. As always, I will speak solely from the office’s point of view. So no hard feelings everyone please.”

Some of the reporters shifted in their seats uncomfortably.

The boss glanced at Sachin in amusement. “You seem to be the happiest one in the group today here.” Sachin shrugged his shoulders and smirked. “Arrogant bugger..” The boss said laughingly. “Good work on the coverage of the award function, by the way.” Sachin gave a lazy wave of his hand and said “Thanks.”

“Now, the rest of you…” The boss turned towards the others. “You guys have been working really hard, I know. But you are not giving any meaningful results. Your performance has to be outstanding, notable, commendable… Getting me, people?”

“You, Priya..” The boss said, gesturing to her. Sachin immediately went on alert. “It has been almost a year since you joined us. And I regret to say, that inspite of how promising your first month was, you have not delivered upto our expectations. I am disappointed the most in you. I expect some really good reports from you this month. Understand?”

She gulped and nodded her head. Sachin smiled at her visible embarrassment.

“All right then. I have kept it short this time. Get going, start working. Off to your domains!” The boss dismissed the staff with a smile and sat checking some papers that he had brought.

Sachin lounged on his chair relaxedly, already decided on his next course of action. It pleased him immensely, his job as a reporter. Currently he was covering the political field and for a change, he had covered a major award function two weeks ago. He had met many important people there and had struck a good rapport with them. His aim was to handle the crime section. And he was already working on it.

“Um..Sachin, do you have a minute?” He turned around at the soft voice and saw that it was Priya, standing awkwardly in front of him. He was surprised that she was talking to him. She was usually a very private person and kept to herself most of the times. She did greet him whenever their paths crossed but that was the extent of their conversation.

“Oh.. Hi… Please sit.” He hastily took a chair from the next cubicle and placed it in front of her, motioning her to sit.

“Thanks.” She gave a shy smile and sat down on the chair. Up close, she was even prettier, he thought. A natural beauty, without a hint of any make-up… pretty eyes, soft and curly hair falling in waves around her face, soft voice… All right, we are going off-track here, Sachin thought and shook his head.

“I need a small help. Can you give me some guidelines about how I can progress further in my work? I seem to have reached an impasse. I can’t understand where I am going wrong. The boss always says to spend some time with you and learn from you. Can you just give me some tips?” She asked in a hesitant tone.

Whew boss, way to put me in a soup! He thought in amusement. As it is, he was shyly hiding from her, avoiding to speak to her lest he embarrass himself in front of his crush, and his boss had sent her off to him for ‘guidance’.

“Well, I don’t think I am the right person to guide anyone. All I can say is, you need to let go of all hesitation, shyness or embarrassment when you embark on a reporting project.” Oh, really? His mind sniggered and he ignored it, totally focused on the girl in front of him. “You need to be constantly alert and ahead of everyone. You have to be the first to reach the venue, the first to ask questions, the first to be spotted. I hope I am not preaching..” He said lightly.

“No, no, please go on..” She said immediately and he felt encouraged. He spoke more about the job, taking the chance to watch her expressions range from seriousness to awe.

“And now, after I finish this project, I am hoping to enter the field of crime. Not to commit any, just coverage and exposure.” He finished hastily as she looked at him with something akin to wonder.

“Wow, crime! I would also love to work in that field.” She said.

Oh no, not you.. He thought with a sinking feeling. That was too dangerous. “I don’t think you should go for that field. You would be more comfortable covering Page-3 section, you know.” He blurted out without thinking. The very idea of her handling criminal cases had rattled him badly.

But he seemed to have made a blunder, for he saw the light fade away from her eyes. “Why does everyone keep suggesting that I am more suitable for Page-3?” She asked with indignation, a hurt expression on her face.

“I – I didn’t mean to say it that way.” He said slowly, trying to redeem himself.

She shook her head and got up. “Anyways, thanks for the guidance. I will try to work on the tips that you have given me.” With a nod of her head, she left, making him feel terribly guilty.

An hour later, Priya was sitting with her head in her hand, still not having managed to do anything. It bothered her, this creativity block that she was going through. It was as if her brain had stopped functioning.

She had always been a topper in school and college. She had scored excellent grades in her post-graduate degrees too. Then why was she lagging behind in the office? She couldn’t point out where she was going wrong. She thought about Sachin and frowned. What an arrogant brat! She lay her head down on the table, thinking of what to do ahead. Her phone rang.

She saw that the call was from an unknown number. She answered it.

“Hello?”

“Hello.” Said the voice on the phone. She couldn’t recognize it. “My name is Amit Soni.” She sat up immediately on her chair, her senses on high alert.

“I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me to manage my PR.”

She couldn’t believe it. The call was from the topmost director of Bollywood, whose movies were currently grossing hundred crores. In sheer disbelief, she forgot to respond.

“Hello? Can you hear me? Isn’t this Priya Menon?” The director said, now sounding irritated.

“H-Hello, yes Sir, I am Priya. H-How can I help you Sir?” She blabbered, her childhood stammer coming back in full force due to excitement and eagerness.

“You must have heard about the new movie that I have directed. It is releasing this Friday.” She held her breath. “I am arranging a premiere show of the movie. Can you come for the same and review it? My movie has got entangled in a controversy, you obviously know this. Come and watch the movie for yourself and write about it. You can also cover the entire premiere. A lot of celebrities are expected. It would be a great opportunity for you.”

She could hardly believe it. Was it a prank-call? It seemed too wonderful to be true. “I am listening Sir.” She said, eager to hear the rest.

“I hope you would find the movie good enough to give a positive feedback. I have called a representative from every major news agency. I hope that you will accept my invitation and attend the premiere.”

“Of course, I will come, Sir! I am honored to get an invite!” She said happily.

“Can you please send your email-Id on my number? I will send the invitation card to you. Please bring a print-out of the same for the function with your office ID and personal ID too.”

“Sure. Thanks a lot, Sir.” She said in a dazed tone.

“I am the one who should thank you. See you at the premiere. Bye.” The call ended. In a daze, she sent her email ID as a message to the number from which she had got the call. Within a minute, her laptop pinged, showing a new mail notification. She opened the mail and saw the invitation for the premiere. Overjoyed, she took a print-out of the same and hurried to the boss’s cabin to show him.

When she approached the cabin, she saw that Sachin was sitting with the boss and they were discussing over some papers.

“Sir, May I?” She asked from the entrance. Her boss looked at her and nodded. She came inside and gave a haughty look towards Sachin. He had the gals to look guilty.

“Sir, I just got this over my mail.” She showed the invite to the boss, aware of Sachin watching her. Eat your heart out, you arrogant boy. She thought with satisfaction.

“I know.” The boss simply said and handed the print-out to her. “Who do you think arranged for Amit Soni to call you? I know him personally and I gave him your number when he asked for a representative from our office to attend the premiere.”

“Oh.” She said, feeling deflated. She saw Sachin look down and hide a smile. It infuriated her.

“This is a good chance for you. Make sure you attend the function and cover it well. Take the best photographer with you and shine in the event.” The boss said, looking at her sternly.

“Ya, right. Thanks for the chance, Sir. I-I won’t mess it up, I assure you.” She managed to say.

“Okay then.” The boss dismissed her and she left the room with a final glance at Sachin.

The boss looked up from the papers and saw her go. He leaned back on his chair and with folded hands, appraised Sachin who was now avoiding his gaze.

“Satisfied? I did act well, didn’t I?” He asked in amusement while Sachin still kept quiet.

The boss laughed heartily. “Look at you! I have never seen you so subdued.” Sachin tried hard to hide his amused smile but failed miserably.

“Okay boy. Off to your seat now. You have already passed on a good coverage event to her, now be prepared to give an outstanding coverage on your next one. Else I will spill the beans to her!” The boss laughed at Sachin’s panicked expression. “I finally have something to make you dance to my tunes.”

Sachin shook his head in amusement and left the cabin.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Good one :) And really sweet! <3 But dare I say, she will eventually find out...But let's leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cute love story it is ! Loved the character of Sachin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah! This romance thing really set me all wild and running. I would so want to read about how and ever if Priya comes to know about this, and how does their romance progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning to write a sequel as many of my friends are asking for it!! Thank U for always motivating me with a positive feedback!!

      Delete
  4. ohh.wow..didn't expect Sachin can do something like this for Priya. But I admit, when Priya will find it out, Sachin will no the "arrogant boy" for her..:)

    http://mothersgurukul.com/no-elevator-success-take-stairs-reach-top/

    ReplyDelete